Close To My Heart

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Redoing Twilight

As promised I made another go with the image Twilight by Crafts and Me. This time I used Derwent Coloursoft. I wanted to try just how waxy this brand is, and color wise, how vibrant. I am happy with the colors, pigment is very vibrant, and it's not far from Prismacolor. I love especially how the bricks turned out, and the skirt too. I still had trouble with the wings, and the thunder I'm not so happy about. I did try using Derwent Burnisher to cover the tooth, but I don't think it worked. I also did try the Derwent Blender, and like the Burnisher, I don't think it did anything at all.


I used Strathmore 300 Series Drawing paper still, so as to get an apples to apples comparison. Since the Coloursoft pencils are very creamy and waxy, I found that it takes less layers to achieve the same look as the Prismacolors. But the disadvantage it, it's too creamy that layering on more colors is also hard. A couple of layers in and the paper just can't take any more. You will feel the pencil just gliding, but not really blending. I think the right thing to do is to use it in conjunction with Derwent Studio or or Artist, but I was too lazy to try. Overall, for a first try, I am quite satisfied. It also taught me how else to do it better next time.

Here's a close up comparison.



If you want the specific colors I used, send me a note and I'll share them with you.

Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment